If you’ve ever headed into fall without a clue about how to transition your space into the new season, then you’re not alone. Replacing the right décor items for their more autumn-appropriate counterparts can seem daunting as a whole, but today we’re here to remind you that it doesn’t have to be an overwhelming task. Instead of thinking of overhauling your entire space to make room for fall-ready décor and furniture, simply take stock of what pieces in your home would be easy (and reasonably affordable) to switch out on the surface.
Foundational pieces like couches, coffee tables, and overhead lighting should stay the same—unless of course, you’re itching to do an entire seasonal makeover!—and you can bring the warmth of fall into your home with just a few easy décor swaps. We’re breaking it down into a simple how-to guide today, so keep scrolling to see the top five things you should switch out to seamlessly transition your home from summer into fall…
Adding a throw blanket to your space is not only functional during the cooler months, but it’s also one of the easiest ways to make it feel like fall in your home. By simply picking out the coziest throw for your space and draping it over a comfy chair or the end of your couch, you’ll be feeling all those warm fall vibes in no time—and have another excuse to curl up on the couch!
Tip: Go for throws with thick weaves, lots of texture, fun accents (like pom poms and tassels), and bold but down-to-earth color palettes. This will add a stylish touch to your space, while still keeping things cozy-as-can-be.
Shop Throw Blankets…
1. Adelaide Throw, $298 | 2. Henley Wool Throw, $598 | 3. Isidora Tassel Throw, Gray, $158 | 4. Aquino Throw Blanket, $178 | 5. Hermés New Classic Avalon Throw Blanket, $1,525 | 6. Swiss Cross Cotton-Blended Throw, Smoke, $185 | 7. Happy Habitat Recycled Cotton Throw, Mixed Stripes, $160 | 8. Mohair Throw, Juniper, $169
This may seem like an obvious swap, but one that can easily be overlooked. No matter how meticulously you have decorated your home for fall, it just doesn’t seem quite complete without a warm fall aroma. Don’t you agree? We love adding candles that are not only easy on the eye, but also burn rich fall scents like pumpkin spice, tobacco, and amber to make our space feel warm and inviting.
Tip: Make sure to save those candle vessels even after your candle has burned out! They make for surprisingly chic and functional repurposed décor that can transition into the coming months, without spending a dime.
Shop Fall Candles…
1. Nest ‘Pumpkin Chai’ Scented Candle, $40 | 2. Rewined Candle, Spiked Cider, $29 | 3. Geo Candle, Tobacco Spice, $49 | 4. Maison D’Or Candle, Cedre Noir, $39 | 5. Gray Malin 'Snow' Candle, $49 | 6. P.F. Candle Co. Large Candle, Amber and Moss, $32 | 7. Voluspa Vermeil Blond Tabac Grand Maison Candle, $65 | 8. Medium Tin Candle, Mountain Sage, $14
We always have a keen eye on what’s hanging on our walls, so we can say from experience that swapping in the right artwork for the season can make a huge difference. Adding artwork more appropriate for fall will not only help pull together the color scheme you’re working with, but will also transform the vibe of your space. If you had a bright and beachy scene hanging over your couch for the summer months, try swapping it out for something more earthy or abstract.
Tip: When it comes to the artwork in our space, one of our favorite design tips for fall is to include prints that are fashion-forward, eclectic, and a little bit edgy. Prints like these will add a little bit of attitude and personality to your space, and easily work year-round if you fall in love so much that you can’t take it down when fall is over.
Shop Transitional Prints…
1. Menemsha Beach, Martha’s Vineyard, $249+ | 2. Concierge, $299+ | 3. Sunrise, $199+ | 4. Groundskeeper, $299+ | 5. The “Mother Darling”, $249+ | 6. Llamas White Balloons, $5,999 | 7. Aqua Waters, Whitsunday Island, $249+
Decorative pillows are another area where you can cater to any budget, no matter how big or small, and you’ll really get the bang for your buck. If you had light, bright, and simple throw pillows sprinkled around your space for the summer, try swapping them out for pillows with more texture, bolder patterns, and richer colors.
Tip: We love using textiles like velvet and wool during the fall months for a look that is instantly cozy and luxurious. Bonus? Since your color palette will most likely be neutrals and deeper shades of color like browns, greys, navy, and gold, take advantage of playing with wilder patterns and motifs.
Shop Cozy Pillows…
1. Omni Pillow, Gray, $265 | 2. Justina Blakeney Fable Pillow, Blue & Gold, $169 | 3. Thea Pillow, Black/Blue, $105 | 4. Justina Blakeney Grid Pillow, Blue, $129 | 5. Arrow Velvet Pillow, Seafoam, $145 | 6. Zigzag Linen/Velvet Pillow, Gray, $145 | 7. Chalet Cable Pillow, Light Camel, $495 | 8. Cloud Lumbar Pillow, Brown/White, $219
An area rug is one of the most significant ways to ground your design and bring all your décor elements together, so swapping it out during a little seasonal revamp will make a monumental difference in the overall look. Much like your throw blankets and decorative pillows, adding a rug with a lot of texture or a bold pattern in a neutral color can both liven up your space and make it feel warm and “homey” at the same time.
Tip: If you prefer to leave the majority of your décor as-is, then making this one simple swap can easily be enough to transform your space. We love using greys, navy, black, and cream during the fall months for a strong foundation that works well with any accent color.
Shop Fall-Ready Rugs…
1. Kajal Rug, Cream, $80-$877 | 2. Ellison Rug, Gray, $149-$279 | 3. Kate Spade New York Gramercy Scatter Dot Rug, Blue, $126-$2,075 | 4. Paige Stripe Rug, Zebra, $46-$658 | 5. Monterey Abaca Rug, $998-$2,998 | 6. Geneva Rug, Navy and Forest, $180-$990 | 7. Niles Rug, $898-$3,698
How are you planning on transitioning your home into the fall season?
No matter what décor pieces you decide to swap in or out, all we can say is that making a few tweaks here and there truly make a difference in the overall feel of a space—no matter how small they may seem!
Xx Team GM